Friday, December 30, 2011

Beatles--1966 Christmas Record

I can't believe we forgot this last week. Every year while they were together, the Beatles released a special limited edition record during the year-end holidays through their Fan Club. The early ones were just the Fabs thanking their fans but as time went on the Christmas records paralleled the Beatles career in that they became more elaborate and,, in the end, more individualistic. This was the one in between--still a  group effort but with a lot more creativity than just a few thank you's.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I always have to hear this one this time of year, as well as 1967's "Christmastime is Here Again!"
    This year I got wind of tribute band The Fab Four and their twisting of standard holiday songs around Beatles tunes and riffs, e.g. 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree' made to sound like 'Got to Get You Into My Life'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so that's the band that did Rocking Around the Christmas Tree. I came across that a few years ago and thoght I'd discovered some long-missing track from an unproduced Beatles Christmas album. Of course, the more I listened to it, I realized it wasn't the Beatles, but very good effort. "I've got Christmas in my fingers!"

    ReplyDelete